Early Career and Trainee Resources
Tips from the ECATS Committee
How do I become involved in SCI nursing? What’s it like? – The journeys of three SCI nurses
Helpful tips for students and early career therapists interested or currently working in the field of SCI.
SCI Medicine Fellowship Tips
Postdoctoral Psychology Training Tips
ECATS has gathered the following resources to target the learning and training needs or students, Early Career Professionals, and those fairly new to the field of SCI. Information regarding SCI training opportunities are also included, where applicable.
American Paraplegia Society (APS)
- SCI Medicine Fellowships
- ASCIP has assembled information from participating programs.
Psychologists, Social Workers & Counselors (PSWC):
- APA Division 22 – Rehabilitation Psychology
- Rehabilitation Psychology is a specialty area within psychology that focuses on the study and application of psychological knowledge and skills on behalf of individuals with disabilities and chronic health conditions in order to maximize health and welfare, independence and choice, functional abilities, and social role participation across the lifespan. Find general information about the field, opportunities to get involved with this division, as well as a wealth of knowledge and resources.
- Internship information
- Postdoctoral Fellowship information (including a list of training sites)
- Su, X. (2011). Postdoctoral training, departmental prestige and scientists’ research productivity. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 36(3), 275-291.
- Su provides an empirical review of the potential benefits of postdoctoral training for those seeking an academic appointment
- The skinny on the postdoc: When to get started, how to get one and what you can do to make the most out of it.
- General information and advice regarding postdoc from the American Psychological Association
- VA Psychology Fellowships and Internships
- Search by state for psychology internship, fellowship, and advanced fellowship opportunities
Spinal Cord Injury Nurses (SCIN)
Therapy Leadership Council (TLC)
- Helpful tips for students and early career therapists interested or currently working in the field of SCI
- Advice on how to succeed on your clinical or fieldwork experiences.
- Behaviors and Attitudes of a Successful Fieldwork Student
- Networking for Occupational Therapy Practitioners, from OT Practice Nov. 9, 2015, page 14
- Article on ideas for networking for early career members to improve practice/clinical skills.
Do you have a resource to share with students and early career practitioners from APS, PSWC, SCIN or TLC? Contact ECATS co-chair Raheleh Tschoepe with suggestions or resources: Raheleh_Tschoepe@med.unc.edu
Note: The resources above are designed for educational purposes and are not necessarily endorsed by the Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals (ASCIP) or ECATS.